Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Lovely

I had a lovely day today. This morning I waited forty minutes to interview for 30 seconds for a job I'm not qualified for, but who cares?! The baker, Angelo, was obviously thrown by the man-voice I have these days. Then I had a lovely lunch with my brother at Max Brenner's where I got salmon wellington and oh god was it good.

This afternoon I had several lovely interactions with strangers. One guy who runs a hot-dog stand was convinced he saw Liv Tyler walk by, but I knew better and told him so. He was disappointed to learn I was right, but told me that he once met Harvey Keitel on that same corner. Later, a man walking down the street in the same direction as me commented on what a beautiful day it was. I agreed because, well, it was! He told me he was en route to his banjo lesson. I told him that I love the banjo! We chatted about Bela Fleck.

Then I sat down in a park and watched a boy (9 years old?) practice riding his bicycle. He nearly crashed into me and excused himself saying "I'm still learning!", so I reassured him that he was doing very well. I just started reading "The Once and Future King" so I was torn between reading about young King Arthur and watching this little prince. I did both. Then he nearly ran into me again and he said something to the effect of "I've almost got it", and again I reassured him of the fact because it was true, he was indeed getting better! I fell in love with him when he said "I just got the bike on Thunday." Adorable! Then I was walking toward Planned Parenthood and I stepped in a puddle! But today I wore mary janes! The young man behind me made some comforting, innocuous, but more or less indiscernible comment so I just laughed and crossed the street. On the other side I tried to shake the water out of my shoe and air out my foot when he came up to me and said "I've got a towel, you know." So I gladly accepted. I dried my mostly dry foot and we smiled at each other and went our ways.

Then I got on a bus headed to Hofstra, took a nap, woke up and rallied with other Pro-Choicers in the designated rally area, headed back to the bus, and saw an Iraqi vet get literally dragged away by the cops, and saw a girl with a hurt ankle get carted away on a stretcher. I heard about both of those events later on the news.

Now I'm writing this and next I'm going to bed. And that was my day, start to finish. Minus the boring bits. Because there are always boring bits.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Can your next entry be comprised of only the boring bits?

I'd like to note (and love) the juxtaposition between you falling for the adorable biking child/you heading to Planned Parenthood for some protesting. Classic Alice.

erica said...

1. once and future king is one of my favorites...enjoy

2. you managed to meet a banjo player and a random stranger with a towel handy in one day. you are amazing.

3. I hope you get the baking job so that I can smell you everyday.

4. yay pro choice! and I miss you.

Lizz said...

once and future king. I hear good things from mike rauch.

alice, did you know Hofstra is mere blocks from my high school? AND did you go to the planned parenthood next to Hofstra? Zed works there. Please note these questions are, more or less, rhetorical.