Friday, October 10, 2008

My Week on Craig's List

After a week (plus) of searching Craig's List, MonsterTrak, EntertainmentCareers.net and many more, I finally applied to one job (see last post). A whopping one. What follows is a review of the postings I responded to, forwarded to various people I know, and generally just looked at.

My Week on Craig's List

I found an ad from someone looking for dog calendars, with a detailed list of the types of photographs he/she was really hoping for ("A two panel image of a dog eating a bug and then spitting it out because it tastes gross (The bug is fine!)")

I applied to get paid drink copious amounts of clear liquors in a focus study. No dice.

I responded to an ad looking for curly haired people for a photo shoot. No response

I tried to be an intern for a movie Sam "Rocks my world" Rockwell is making. (Don't worry, I'll never refer to him that way again.)

I e-mailed a guy looking to take pictures of people for a gallery project, and now he's going to take a super close up picture of my brace-face eating Cheetos and enlarge it to more than 50 inches. My dream has finally come true.

I didn't apply to be a contestant on a cooking/dating reality show where people have to cook meals around New York City--think beans on top of a boiler--for really picky eaters.

I applied to be an extra in a vampire movie that was part of Brooklyn's 24-hour-film-festival.

I dreamed of having nearly enough experience to work as an overnight baker in any one of the various places looking for one.

I convinced myself many times that I didn't have enough experience (read--desire) to apply any one of the various administrative assistant/receptionist jobs that are always listed.

I found a guy offering private baking lessons and a woman offering piano lessons and am considering e-mailing both of them to see if I could barter my awesomeness for their time and skills.

I tried to find a router, a bed frame, and almost anything cool in the Free section.

Over a month ago I found a guy giving away his banjo for free. I e-mailed him twice. I still don't own a banjo.

And finally, just now, as I was perusing CL for some inspiration for this post, I applied to be a tour guide on a "Sex and the City" bus tour. Boy I hope I get that one.

3 comments:

Ro said...

and i thought i was having a rough time of it with craigs list and the job search. How do these things find you? you trully are a magnet for the strange and "what the hells?". Gotta love ya. Great post. Was it you who wanted my address in cali?

Katie said...

Say what you will about administrative assistants/receptionists, but I've been reading blogs and Woody Allen all morning and take a zillion personal calls a day.

My typing this comment was interrupted by the lady who waters the plants asking me to press the secret button that will let her into the human resources office.

THAT'S RIGHT, ALICE, I HAVE A SECRET BUTTON.

Have you heard back from the tour bus people yet?

Alice said...

I haven't. Bummer. But today I'm going to apply at Buttercup Bake Shop. But if I don't get that job, I'm going to post an ad on CL asking to be hired anywhere that has a secret button. That's awesome.